by Tamera H. Bennett Had another great time co-hosting the Entertainment Law Update Podcast
Topics (with lots of links) include:
- Congratulations to Maren Christensen, Executive VP and General Counsel at Universal Studios, who’s been named Beverly Hills Bar Association’s Entertainment Lawyer of the Year for 2009.
- Supreme Court Nominee Sotomayor’s background and 2nd Circuit ruling in favor of statutory damages as deterrent.
- Backlog at the Copyright Office.
- Does the Register of Copyrights hold office lawfully? A pending Constitutional Appointments Clause challenge questions the validity of CRB appointments, but what about the Register’s ministerial Acts?
- Sports Leagues losing control of fantasy-sports leagues as Courts rule that the First Amendment trumps rights of publicity, and player statistics, etc., where there’s a public interest in the information.
- Good discussion of “Access” element of copying analysis in ruling on Summary Judgment for Defendant in song plagiarism suit.
- Warner Music issues DMCA Takedown on Organization that hosted Prof. Lessig talk
- Woody Allen/American Apparel case settles
- SAG settles Force Majeure claims
- Tenenbaum’s fair use argument - Case is set for trial July 20.